We know that some people do not want to pay month after month for something they cannot see. Homeowners my not like shelling out the money for homeowners insurance but in the unforeseen event of a disaster happening it will be the best thing they’ve ever bought. Homeowners Insurance is important any time of year but in the Winter months of December, January, February and March we see more insurance claims for home fires than any time of year.
The Winter is time for families to get together, celebrate the holidays and cook a lot of food. This is where the main cause of house fires come from; Cooking.
Based on 2006-2010 annual averages:
- Unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in these fires.
- Two-thirds (67%) of home cooking fires started with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.
- Clothing was the item first ignited in less than 1% of these fires, but these incidents accounted for 16% of the cooking fire deaths.
- Ranges accounted for the largest share (58%) of home cooking fire incidents. Ovens accounted for 16%.
- Three of every five (57%) reported non-fatal home cooking fire injuries occurred when the victims tried to fight the fire themselves.
- Frying poses the greatest risk of fire.
- Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires.
Source: NFPA’s “Home Fires Involving Cooking Equipment” report
Along with the cooking is all the other holiday ciaos, from holiday decorations, winter storms and cold nights. With the high cost of utilities and fuel, people find other ways to heat and supply electricity to the home. These are also major causes of in home fires;
- Wood Stove
- Space Heaters
The winter is the most common season for home fires and homeowners insurance claims. With that, the cold weather has arrived in Michigan, keep these facts in mind when cooking and heating or supplying electricity to holiday lights. Some people drop insurance coverage if they’re not required to have it, if something was to happen a homeowner could lose the home, everything inside and have no way to cover the expenses of replacing a place to live. Even if these events were not to happen there’s other incidents why homeowners insurance is so important. If someone was to get hurt in your home that is not insured it could cost a homeowner thousands of dollars for lost wages and medical expenses.
Homeowners insurance can cover many things along with home fires. Some homeowners insurance policies cover loss or damage of personal property caused by theft or other covered events. Coverage for jewelry or other expensive collections can be added to a policy. Whatever your coverage needs are GBK Insurance in Redford Michigan can find and make a policy just for you and your home. Click here to Get a FREE homeowners quote today!